- Ease off packaged and processed foods. Swap in whole, unprocessed foods, like an apple or carrots, instead of a bagged snack.
- Opt for lean, organic protein. Cut out eggs, red meat, pork, and deli meats, and opt for organic chicken or turkey instead. Cooked fish is fine—but no sushi.
- Cut out coffee and alcohol. Substitute green and herbal teas for your daily latte or energy drinks, and pass on the cocktails.
- Remove dairy. No milk, cheese, yogurt, or ice cream, while you’re cleansing. Seek out other creamy, plant-based foods to satisfy that need, like avocado, banana, or silken tofu.
- Lose the wheat. During this time, cut out any and all wheat products—pasta, bread, pastries, crackers, or cookies. Opt for quinoa and brown rice instead.
- Pass on added sugar. That means sweet treats like cookies (even gluten-free), candy, and anything else that has added sweetener. Hold off on adding sweetener to foods as well.
- Eat the right nuts. Pass on the peanut butter for now, and swap in almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, coconut, and organic nut butters.
- Skip bottled sauces; choose olive oil. Opt for extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil when cooking at home, and cut out packaged sauces, many of which contain added sugars and preservatives. Use herbs and spices for added flavor.